Saturday, July 31, 2004

off the beaten path

Lately I've been taking the back roads home from work. It's not any faster, in fact it probably takes me 5 or 10 more minutes to my driveway, but I hate to sit in traffic, so I've been avoiding the interstate. Anyway, I've probably taken the back roads for the last 12 trips home from work, and it's kind of nice. Long, winding roads with little or no other cars...corn fields and horse pastures. Farm houses dotting the landscape. It's pretty, and it helps me unwind. by the time I get home I'm relaxed and calm and far far from the stressed out work "me". Last night, as I was driving home, I saw, for the first time, an entire field of blooming sunflowers tucked in between two corn fields and set back a little way from the road. It was so beautiful, I almost turned around to see it again. 12 nights I've driven past it and never seen it, but you can bet I'll be looking forward to seeing it again come monday.