Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Onward...

Typing slowly today as my “good” arm is currently pulsating and twitching under the control of my very handy TENS unit originally intended and used for pre-surgery attempts to fix and post-surgery attempts to quicken recovery of my “bad” arm, which is, technically, now my good arm, I suppose.

Regardless.

Continuing on my theme of the year; still crossfitting, which I’m pretty sure is not an actual word and shouldn’t be used as a verb, but I’m using it anyway. In my first month I only lost 0.8 lbs. Yes. You read that right. ZERO point eight. I wanted to throw up, which, likely would have made it a nice even pound of lost weight, but I refrained, and instead allowed them to do measurements and body fat…drum roll…eff that damn scale, I lost 2% body fat! I can totally live with that. Add to that, I actually LIKE the other people in the “dawn patrol” and, after a brief period (sometimes not so brief) of convincing myself to get out of bed at dark o’clock in the morning, look forward to the workout.

This is not to say that I don’t finish almost every single workout by lying on the floor, dripping with sweat, calculating the odds that I am actually dying and wondering how I will muster the strength to wobble to the shower, because that’s pretty much par for the course.

I’ve been invited to join their training team and take part in the crossfit open; five boxes in five weekends…I’m considering…intimidated as hell, but considering nonetheless. I know what you’re thinking! It’s the year of f**k it, why not! I should already be signed up! So what is holding me back? I’ve been asking myself the same thing, and the only thing I’ve come up with so far is that I don’t want to embarrass myself. I know in my heart I haven’t committed 100% to the program (*ahem* mostly in the “clean diet” department) and I know that this means I will not perform as well as I THINK I should perform which will then fill me with a sense of guilt and dread. That sentence right there makes me a little sick…one day I will learn to live by the mantra that I pretend I live by…progress, not perfection.  That sentence also makes me realize that now I pretty much HAVE to sign up because I cannot let my own insecurity and the fear of not being good enough hold me back from anything. Should have learned that by now, but since I obviously haven’t, I think it’s high time I start to figure it out, no?

In other news:

Attended a running seminar regarding injury prevention and proper mechanics: very interesting and completely to blame for giving me an excuse to purchase a new pair of minimalist running shoes. A valentine’s day present from myself, if you will. I refrained from wearing them until it was actually valentine’s day, and though I haven’t run in them yet, I did wear them to CF and they are very comfortable!  Happy with the purchase. Though I suspect it will take quite a bit of effort to revamp my “running” (read: old man shuffle) technique as a heel strike landing would be disastrous! And painful! Hoping that the gym will put on a POSE technique seminar…that would be super!
Public Health clinical = working in the ghetto of the ghetto. Whew. Sad & a little scary sometimes. Mostly sad though.

MedSurg 2 clinical = ICU…love it so far, but it’s only just begun so time will tell…

Most exciting: Took a “conceal and carry” class and am now certified to carry a concealed weapon in 39 states! Badass!  Interesting side note: I am hella good with a .22…just sayin’

Thus far, February’s been sort of slow in the “new experiences” department…Took 75% of my kids to watch part of the Crossfit Challenge, 6th annual battle for the cup…kids loved it, competitors were amazing…very motivating! And next week I’m going to Jeff City with a couple of the nursing girls to sit in on some ANA meeting of some sort…field trip!  Other than that, mostly work and school nonsense. 

Oh, and I asked my husband to move out. But that’s another subject entirely. Short story: he does not agree; discussion is anything but smooth.